Your movers or moving vehicle rental:
- It's a good idea to obtain estimates from several moving companies.
- The estimate will depend on whether the movers pack everything or just the breakables, or whether you want to do all the packing yourself.
- Think about getting an appraisal on your expensive items so you can insure them for your move.
- To save costs, consider renting a moving van or truck and arranging for your friends and family to help you pack. Don't forget to read the fine print for mileage allowances and fuel surcharges.
Your utilities - if you own your present home:
- Arrange to have your gas, water, and electricity meters read on the day you leave. Have the bills forwarded to your new address.
- Have your oil tank read and filled before your sale closes and, if required, give the receipt to your legal professional.
- Arrange for the water heater and furnace rental agreements to be transferred to the purchaser.
- Disconnect your telephone, cable TV, and water softener.
Your agreements - if you rent your present home:
- Give your landlord written notice and make arrangements for the return of any deposits.
- Have your telephone and cable TV disconnected.
Your utilities - at your new home:
- Arrange to have gas and electricity, water softener, telephone, and cable TV connected on the day the sale closes.
- Get change-of-address cards from the post office and send them out well before moving day.
- Have the post office forward your mail to your new address.
- Cancel contracted services and pre-authorized cheques.
- Inform gardening, dry cleaning, garbage pick-up, newspapers, magazines, diaper, and other home services of your move. Arrange for service at your new address.
- Get a letter of introduction from your bank to help set up new accounts. Transfer trust or bank accounts and securities.
- Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious, or business affiliations and memberships.
- Ask your dentist, doctor, pharmacist, and optometrist to transfer medical, dental, and prescription records.
- Change the address on your driver's license effective the day of your move.
- Collect all items out for cleaning or repair, or in storage.
- Make arrangements to move perishables, such as plants.
- Make arrangements to move your pets.
- Dispose of all flammable liquids. It is illegal for movers to carry them.
Find a detailed week-by-week checklist for your move here.
courtesy of: http://www.royallepage.ca/en/realestateguide/moving/planning/before-you-move.aspx